Fire, flood, earthquake, and the like are categorized as major disturbances that create strong impact on the ecosystems. In this course, participants will learn about the various types of disturbances that have major effects on the ecosystems and landscapes. Disturbance also plays a role in land management and ecosystem structure and function, which is explained in the presentation.
There is a discussion and deeply delves into the topic to help participants understand these issues, which in effect will aid in producing resilient designs for the benefit of the community.
1. Describe the major types of ecological disturbances and how they influence site potential, productivity, and sustainability.
2. Describe the role of disturbance in ecosystem structure and function.
3. Describe the difference between ecological disturbances and perturbations.
4. Describe how perturbations and disruption of natural disturbance regimes influence ecosystems.
5. Describe resource management and ecosystem restoration options using disturbance.