The aim of this course is to provide you with a basic understanding of environmental pollution. The course gives insight about the structure of the environment and the different ways in which pollutants can change its composition with regards to how they enter the environment as well as their fate.
Furthermore, several phenomena that result from pollution in the 3 key areas of the environment, air, water and soil are explained in more details. These include the formation of photochemical smog and acid rain, biomagnification of chemical pollutants in the soil and water, as well as how air pollution exacerbates the greenhouse effect.
1. Understanding the four key areas of the environment- the Biosphere, hydrosphere, atmosphere and lithosphere, and how each area is affected by pollution.
2. Identify the main pollutants in the air, water and soil.
3. Determine the fate of pollutants in the environment as a whole i.e. in the foodwebs and the impact on human health.
4. Explore different methods of environmental rehabilitation after pollution.
5. Identify steps in which pollution can be minimized.